15mL is $27.33 retail/$20.50 wholesale plus shipping
Peppermint Oil Uses and Benefits
- Looking for something strong and natural to freshen your breath with? Mix a drop of Peppermint oil with a drop of Lemon essential oil in water, take a sip, and swirl it around in your mouth for a healthy, refreshing mouth rinse. One of the key ingredients to this mouth rinse is the menthol found in Peppermint. Menthol has been used for centuries for its ability to cleanse and freshen. When you use a drop of Peppermint oil in your mouth rinse, the menthol is what gives it a fresh and minty kick. This powerful and fresh element is why Peppermint is found in many oral health products today. When using this Peppermint mouth rinse, you will experience a pleasurable, cooling feeling your mouth will love and you will walk away confident, knowing that your breath smells just as good as it feels.
- Peppermint oil is a culinary wonder and has been used to add a fresh boost to meals in kitchens all across the world. However, Peppermint is not just limited to cooked dishes; it also makes a great addition to any drink or smoothie. Try adding one to two drops of Peppermint essential oil to your favorite smoothie recipe for a refreshing twist. By adding the flavor of Peppermint oil to your morning smoothie, you can start your day feeling more refreshed than ever.Don’t forget to get creative with your water, too! Add one drop of Peppermint with a cut fruit for a deliciously infused water. Peppermint oil makes a healthy addition to any drink because it helps promote healthy respiratory function and clear breathing, and by adding doTERRA Peppermint oil to the drink of your choice, you are encouraging healthy respiratory function in your body* while simultaneously adding a delicious flavor to your drinks.
- Peppermint can be used aromatically to enliven the senses and promote a feeling of energy. This powerful oil can be extremely beneficial on its own, but when you add the right combination of essential oils to Peppermint, you get a wider variety of beneficial results. Try placing one drop of Peppermint oil in the palm of your hand, add one drop of Wild Orange essential oil and one drop of Frankincense essential oil, and inhale. This simple aromatic recipe is perfect for a mid-day pick-me-up.Including Wild Orange and Frankincense in this Peppermint mixture adds to its aromatic benefits. Wild Orange carries a sweet and fresh citrus smell that is used to uplift the mind and body, while Frankincense is valued for its ability to promote feelings of relaxation. By combining these two essential oils with Peppermint’s soothing properties, the blend becomes an aromatic powerhouse that will have you feeling relaxed and energized for the tasks ahead.
- Sometimes feet just get dried out. It happens, but that doesn’t mean you have to live with it. Try this do-it-yourself Whipped Peppermint Foot Lotion and show your feet how much you appreciate them. This is a simple and light lotion that includes natural ingredients like Peppermint and Melaleuca (Tea Tree) essential oils. After a long day, there are few things better than taking a seat and giving your feet the cooling sensation that this DIY lotion brings. For best results, try applying this lotion generously to your feet and then putting socks on before you go to bed. Whipped Peppermint Foot Lotion will not only leave your feet smelling fresh, it will transform your sandpaper heels into a silky dream.If you are looking for a way to share the benefits of Peppermint oil with your friends, try making and sharing this DIY Candy Cane Sugar Scrub. This festive sugar scrub helps exfoliate and moisturize the hands, feet, and body, and it makes for a great seasonal gift. Not only will the scrub produce soft and smooth results, but its Peppermint oil base will provide a soothing sensation wherever it is applied.
- Being outside in the sun can be a great way to uplift your mood, but sometimes too much sun exposure can quickly end your fun. Try this homemade After Sun Soothing Spray to maintain healthy-looking skin after too much sun. This soothing spray is filled with three powerful essential oils that calm and soothe irritated skin. One of the primary oils used in this spray is Peppermint. Peppermint is a perfect after-sun essential oil due to its high content of Menthol. Menthol is an organic substance in peppermint plants that will give your skin that cool and soothing feeling it needs after a hot day outdoors. Melaleuca (Tea Tree) essential oil and Lavender essential oil are two additional ingredients in this DIY that will improve the appearance of skin.
- Looking for a long-lasting way to smell the sweet and minty aroma of Peppermint oil? Use this simple yet invigorating diffuser blend and enjoy this fresh aroma in your home, office, classroom, gym, or wherever you choose to go. To make this blend, combine 2 drops of Peppermint, 3 drops of Grapefruit, and 2 drops of Sandalwood into a diffuser. Using Peppermint essential oil in your diffuser will produce a cooling, invigorating vapor. Additionally, the grounding and mood-enhancing properties of Sandalwood and the uplifting benefits of Grapefruit will work well with the soothing and relaxing effects of Peppermint to produce an energizing and calming aroma that all will enjoy.
- Peppermint oil makes a great addition to many dishes, especially treats. Try using this Black Bean Brownie recipe with Peppermint oil and put a nutritious and delicious spin on the traditional chocolate brownie. At first, making a sweet treat with black beans may seem a little off-putting, but don’t worry, black beans have a very mild flavor and are extremely rich, creamy, and full of protein. Once you venture out with this recipe, you won’t want to go back. To create an extra pop of flavor, add a couple drops of Peppermint essential oil for a delightful and refreshing flavor.
- The soothing components found in Peppermint essential oil make it a desirable oil for massages. Try adding Peppermint to your massage experiences and enjoy the pleasurable cooling feelings it brings to your skin while immersing yourself in its sweet and relaxing aroma. A great massage companion to Peppermint is Lavender. This combination will produce optimal soothing feelings that will add to any massage. You can also try adding Peppermint essential oil to your shampoo or conditioner for a stimulating hair massage that will provide the pampering your scalp deserves.
- Looking for a way to repel bugs and spiders in your house? Luckily, Peppermint oil provides a perfect solution to ward off those creepy crawlers. Many bugs and spiders dislike the potent smell of Peppermint, consequently, Peppermint essential oil is used as a home remedy to repel bugs naturally. Try placing 1–3 drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and position them in the corners of your bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, laundry room, or wherever you think these unwanted guests might be.
- If you or someone you know has trouble staying awake during long meetings or would like a natural method to feel alert, Peppermint oil used topically and aromatically can help. Because of the invigorating and cooling effects of pure Peppermint oil produces when it comes in contact with skin, Peppermint is an ideal oil for staying attentive and aware. In order to create this extra boost, place 1–2 drops of Peppermint on your finger tips and then place your fingertips on your temples and rub. This will help give you the natural sense of alertness you desire when you need it most.
Peppermint’s scientific name is Mentha piperita. In ancient Greek Mythology, Minthe (also known as Mentha), a nymph, was transformed by Queen Persephone into a sweet-smelling mint.2
The peppermint plant is a hybrid of water mint and spearmint plants. This cooling and relaxing herb is characterized by its square stem, dark green leaves, and small bunches of light lavender flowers. The peppermint plant can grow to be approximately 18–36 inches tall and can be found in a variety of different areas. Peppermint is known to grow best by streams or in wet locations with a lot of rainfall. Due to its specific water needs, Peppermint is cultivated in Europe, Asia, and North America.
Chemistry of Peppermint Oil
Main Chemical Components: Menthol, Menthone, 1,8-Cineole
The main chemical component in Peppermint essential oil is menthol. Menthol has a monoterpene backbone with an alcohol functional group. Menthol contains energizing properties that contribute to the overall energizing effect of Peppermint oil. Menthol is known to soothe the smooth muscle that lines the colon. This relaxant property occurs due to menthol’s ability to keep calcium channels working optimally. The relaxing of colon smooth muscle reduces the movement of bowels, which eases occasional bowel looseness. Because of this effect, menthol is a main contributor to Peppermint essential oil’s ability to promote digestive health. When Peppermint is swallowed, typically it is followed by a cooling sensation. This response happens because menthol activates the TRPM8 receptor, an indicator of cold.
Oils that Blend Well with Peppermint Oil